Sunday, July 19, 2009

NE Ohio families connect with Rome Down syndrome group

While in Rome, I am going to meet with an Italian Down syndrome group called the ASSOCIAZIONE ITALIANA PERSONE DOWN. As a gesture of good will and solidarity, I am going to backpacks filled with letters of friendship and items for some of their families who have been affected by the April earthquake. Several groups and families from NE Ohio have contacted me wanting to help. On April 6th 2009 a major earthquake occurred in central Italy. The majority of the damage occurred in the city of L’Aquila and the surrounding villages. Around 300 died and 50,000 were homeless. Today, there are still 35,000 homeless living in tents. The Rome office will give the items and well wishes to their office in L’Aquila.

With the Down syndrome termination rate being almost 90%, I believe that people need these postive connections.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.catholic.net/index.php?option=zenit&id=26495
    Killing Those Deemed Unworthy of Life

    ReplyDelete